Test opener Hughes leaves NSW for South Australia
Jun 28 2012 - 08:47:50
Former Test opening batsman Phillip Hughes has left New South Wales to sign a three-year deal with South Australia, the South Australian Cricket Association (SACA) said Thursday.
Hughes, 23, who has played 17 Tests for Australia averaging 34.58 with three centuries, was the youngest player to score back-to-back hundreds in the same match, in his second Test against South Africa in Durban in 2009.
Hughes, currently playing in England with Worcestershire, missed out on a central contract with Cricket Australia last week and said he was looking for a fresh beginning with South Australia.
"The next two years are the most critical in my cricket career and I'm not going to leave any stone unturned to make sure I put myself back into contention to play again for Australia," Hughes said in a SACA statement.
"Missing a CA contract this year is not the end of the world. In fact, in lots of ways it's a new beginning."
Hughes said the opportunity to play for Worcestershire in recent months had given him the chance to refine his skills and passion for the game.
"The organisation, their support of me and my ability to focus a hundred percent on my game has been a real eye opener and my form with the bat has obviously benefited from it," he said.
"That's what I expect the move to Adelaide to also do for me, and I can't wait to get there and settle in."
Hughes has a long history of success at Adelaide Oval, having made 475 runs in his three most recent Sheffield Shield visits to South Australia, including scores of 198 and 192.